HPD Open Standard
A benefit for the building industry
The Health Product Declaration® (HPD) Open Standard provides a standard format and instructions to accurately, reliably and consistently report the material contents of a building product, and associated health information.
- For customers who want to know what is in the products they are specifying, buying, and using, a manufacturer can provide comprehensive information about a product’s material contents and associated health information using the HPD Open Standard.
- The HPD Open Standard reporting method and tools increase efficiency for manufacturers by replacing redundant – and sometimes conflicting – reporting formats, with a single format that will be accepted by leading materials disclosure and evaluation tools, green building rating systems, and organizations that have private, in-house standard and optimization programs.
- The HPD Open Standard is an excellent vehicle for manufacturer disclosure and transparency programs, that provides an industry-accepted method for reporting product contents and the associated health information.
- For manufacturers that are constrained to fully disclose contents because of limitations within their supply chain or by other factors, the HPD Open Standard provides flexibility. For example, manufacturers facing challenges with intellectual property or supply chain communication gaps can use the HPD to characterize the level of disclosure they are able to achieve.
- The HPD promotes clear communication amongst the spectrum of stakeholders by providing a common language for disclosure for product content. This allows the HPD to be applied in many different purposes such as: rating system reporting, red-list compliance, product certification, manufacturing standards, supply chain management, and purchasing protocols.The Health Product Declaration Collaborative (HPDC) welcomes membership of manufacturers and suppliers that support a common language for reporting product contents and information about how each ingredient relates to human and environmental health.
The HPD allows me to finally specify products with full knowledge of what’s in them and how it will impact a building’s environment and occupants. No other certification or disclosure system is as comprehensive or transparent.Mike Manzi
License for use
The Health Product Declaration Open Standard is the intellectual property of the HPD Collaborative, and provided to the public, free-of-charge, under the Creative Commons: Attribution-NoDerivs CC BY-ND 4.0) license. Anyone using the HPD Open Standard must comply with the terms of this license agreement, which will be enforced by the HPD Collaborative. For information on use of the terms, logos and trademarks, please click here.