The HPDC Approved Preparer program is now available
An Approved Preparer consults with the manufacturer during the preparation of an HPD providing additional resources and technical expertise to execute the HPD as accurately and efficiently as possible. Additional features and benefits of the program are described below.
List of HPDC Approved Preparers
- Elixir Environmental
- WAP Sustainability
If you are interested in becoming an approved preparer, please complete the Approved Preparer information request.
An HPDC Approved Preparer is a consulting organization which has demonstrated the knowledge and experience necessary to provide assistance to manufacturers in the preparation of accurate and complete Health Product Declarations (HPDs). Unlike Third Party Verifiers, who provide independent review of completed HPDs, the preparer consults with the manufacturer during the preparation of the HPD to provide additional resources and technical expertise to execute the HPD as accurately and efficiently as possible. An HPD prepared with the help of an Approved Preparer is still considered the work of the manufacturer, who is ultimately responsible for its content, but benefits from the Preparer’s specialized expertise in the requirements of the HPD Open Standard and best practices for meeting them.
HPDC Approved Preparers can assist with getting content information from suppliers, through independent Non-Disclosure Agreements, when suppliers are reluctant to directly share the necessary information with manufacturers.
With or without third party support, the preparation process is distinct from verification. The HPD is still considered self-published, and of equal validity, with or without the help of an approved preparer. Although the support of an approved preparer may ease the verification process, it does not replace it.
The requirements and approval process for HPD Preparers are nearly identical to those for the Third-Party Verifiers. HPDC Approved Preparers can also be HPDC Third Party Verifiers but are restricted from verifying HPDs that they have helped to prepare.
Key Points of the Preparation Process
HPD preparation is an approved process performed by Approved Preparers with specialized expertise in the requirements of the HPD Open Standard that provides an additional level of assurance that an HPD
- was prepared in accordance with the HPD Open Standard
- and non-disclosed proprietary information the preparer has obtained is accurately represented
It is equally important to understand what the process does not do:
- Approved Preparers do not conduct laboratory tests or other independent assessments of product contents or performance.
- Approved Preparers do not provide information on which product is “preferable.”
- Approved Preparers are not verifying the HPD as part of the preparation process.
The HPDC Approved Preparer Program provides the following benefits:
- To HPD Users – An HPD prepared with the help of an Approved Preparer provides HPD users with an additional level of assurance that an HPD was prepared in accordance with the HPD Open Standard and contains accurately represented non-disclosed proprietary information.
- To Manufacturers – An HPD prepared with the help of an Approved Preparer is still considered the work of the manufacturer, who is ultimately responsible for its content. However, by having their HPDs prepared by recognized experts, manufacturers can receive assistance with obtaining content information from suppliers through independent Non-Disclosure Agreements, when suppliers are reluctant to directly share the necessary information with manufacturers; receive supplemented resources in the preparation process including knowledge, man-power and time; and receive streamlined services during the Verification process. Approved Preparers may work with manufacturers and Third-Party Verifiers during the Verification process.
- To Preparers – The Approved Preparer program provides recognition of their status as approved preparers and targeted exposure to prospective clients who would benefit from their services. It also gives them ongoing access to information on emerging trends and best practices in HPD preparation and verification.
The Third Party Verification Program is managed by the HPD Collaborative (HPDC), a not-for-profit, member organization responsible for the maintenance and evolution of the HPD Open Standard.
- A senior member of the HPDC staff, the Program Director, has overall responsibility for, and oversees the Program.
- Development of the Program content is the responsibility of the Third Party Verification Technical Sub Group. This group is a committee of HPDC member representatives, appointed by the HPDC Technical Committee.
- Approval of the Program content and approval of Verifiers is the responsibility of the HPDC Technical Committee.