Call for HPDC 2021 Board of Directors Nominations
The Health Product Declaration Collaborative (HPDC) is now seeking nominees for its 2021 Board of Directors, with terms commencing on January 1, 2021. HPDC is a Not-for-Profit, Member Organization, charged with the responsibility to oversee and evolve the HPD Open Standard. As a member of the HPDC Board of Directors, you will be part of the decision-making group responsible for overall leadership of this important, industry-enabling effort.
As you review information about Nominations for the HPDC Board below, please note the following deadline for submissions:
- 5 PM PDT Friday, October 16, 2020 – Deadline for receipt of Board of Director nominations
HPDC Board of Directors – Nomination Information and Process
The business and affairs of HPDC, a not-for-profit, 501(c)(6) membership corporation under Delaware General Corporation Law, are overseen by its Board of Directors. Working with the HPDC Executive Director, the Board sets the overall strategic direction of the organization and ensures operational activities are achieving desired results. The Board approves the annual budget of the organization and proposed revisions to the HPD Open Standard. The Board appoints members of the HPDC Technical Committee, which has responsibility for managing the evolution of the HPD Open Standard.
To be eligible for nomination, the nominee must be a registered representative and employee of an HPDC General Member organization (for additional eligibility requirements, please see following section). Current Board members whose terms are expiring may be re-nominated, in the event that they have not reached the term limit for their service.
Nominations may be made by any HPDC General Member, including self-nominations, regardless of membership category. The HPDC Board has 18 elected members. The following seats are open in this election:
- 3 seats in the user category
- 1 seat in the ecosystem category
- 1 seat in the manufacturer category
- 3 seats in community category. (These seats are being added to support the new Community Member category. In order to fit the staggered terms of the HPDC Board, each seat will be assigned a specific term of office, as follows: 1 seat will be randomly assigned a 1 year term, a second seat will have a 2 year term, and the third seat will have a three year term.) Read Community Member FAQ.
HPDC Board Members are elected to three (3) year terms (*see asterisked note below). Terms of newly elected directors will officially begin on January 1 of the year following the election (in this case, January 1, 2021). Directors newly elected for terms beginning in 2020 will serve a three-year term, through December 31, 2023.
- *As noted, the new Community category seats will have either a 1, 2 or 3 year term.
Following the close of nominations on October 16, the HPDC Nominating Working Group will select a slate of nominees, from among the applications received, to stand for election. Prior to the start of the election period on October 26, all nominators and nominee applicants who submitted nomination forms will be notified of the outcome of the nominating process. Those nominated to the slate will be asked, at that time, to confirm that, if elected, they are committed to serve as an HPDC Board Member, aligned with HPDC Board Members’ Roles and Responsibilities.
The election for the 2021 HPDC Board of Directors will be conducted by written ballot from October 26-November 9, 2020 Results will be communicated to nominees following the close of the election. Those elected will be invited to participate on an ex officio basis in the HPDC Board of Directors meeting, being held on November 17, 2020, via Zoom. Announcement of the election results will take place at the HPDC Annual Member Meeting via Zoom, directly following the Board meeting on November 17, 2020.
Nomination Requirements for the HPDC Board of Directors
Eligibility – Nominees and Nominators
- To be nominated, an individual must be an employee of a General Member of HPDC in good standing, and be registered as a representative in the HPDC member roster.
- Nominators must also be listed as a representative of a General Member of HPDC in good standing.
- Nominees may be self-nominated, nominated by a representative of their own organization, or by a representative of another organization.
- The nominating organization does not need to be in the same member category (user, manufacturer, ecosystem) as that of the nominee, i.e. a user category member may nominate someone from the manufacturer category.
- Nominations shall only be considered submitted if they have been completed using the Nomination Form provided, and the Form is submitted prior to the deadline.
Desired Prior Experience, Personal Qualifications of Nominees
- Prior experience serving on the Board of a non-profit, standards setting organization or industry group
- Willingness and ability to participate actively in meeting the fundraising goals of the Board
- Depth of knowledge, training, education in an area of the built environment relevant to the work of HPDC. Examples would be licensed professionals in architecture, design, engineering, construction; experts in the area of sustainability, especially material health; executive experience in building industry product development, marketing, manufacturing or other related fields; expertise in specific scientific disciplines, such as industrial hygiene, toxicology, chemistry.
- Significant executive leadership experience/position of responsibility in organizations within the building industry
- A strategic orientation, blending both business and technical perspectives
- A strong personal commitment to actively support the mission and guiding principles of the HPDC, especially through encouraging harmonization and collaboration with other related efforts in which the Board member is participating.
Expected Time Commitment as an HPDC Board of Directors Member
- Monthly – several hours reviewing Board communications (updates, emails), participation in a Board Committee and/or Board update call, and supporting achievement of annual fundraising goals, in which Board members are expected to play a significant role.
- Quarterly – participate in a (typically) 2-hour meeting of the Board. Two meetings will be telephonic/web and two meetings will be scheduled as face-to-face meetings (travel costs to be borne by Board member). Face-to-face meetings will be evaluated in light of COVID-19 precautionary measures, until further notice.
- Annually – participate in annual, face-to-face 2-day Board Planning Retreat, held in the first calendar quarter (typically February-early March; travel costs to be borne by Board member), in conjunction with the 1st Quarter Regular Board Meeting. Travel costs to be borne by Board Member. Face-to-face meetings will be evaluated in light of COVID-19 precautionary measures, until further notice.
If you are receiving this information and your organization is not yet a General Member of the HPDC, becoming a General Member is the first step in the nomination process. Both Nominator and Nominee must be officially listed as representatives of current HPDC General Member organizations prior to the online submittal of the nomination application form. Information about membership can be found at https://members.hpd-collaborative.org/default.aspx, or by contacting the HPDC Membership director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be nominated for the HPDC Board of Directors, please complete the online application, which can be found here: https://www.hpd-collaborative.org/board-directors-nominations/. Completed applications must be submitted online no later than 5 PM PDT Friday, October 16, 2020. All submitted forms will be acknowledged upon receipt.
An “Applicant Data Collection Form” is also available to assist nominees with offline collection of information. Please click this link to download this form. Please be advised that only applications submitted using the online link noted above will be considered valid submissions.
If you have any questions or need assistance with the application process, please contact us at email@example.com, or by phone at: +1.781.876.8871.