The Health Product Declaration® Collaborative (HPDC) is now seeking nominees for its 2017 Board of Directors. HPDC is a Not-for-Profit, Member Organization, charged with the responsibility to oversee and evolve the HPD Open Standard. As a member of the HPDC Board of Directors, you will be part of the decision-making group responsible for overall leadership of this important, industry-enabling effort.
As you review information about Nominations for the HPDC Board below, please note the following:
- Tuesday, August 23, 2016 5 PM PDT – Deadline for Board of Director nominations
HPDC Board of Directors Nomination Information, Nomination/Election Process
The business and affairs of HPDC, a Not-for-Profit, 501(c)(6) Member Organization under Delaware General Corporation Law, are overseen by its Board of Directors. Working with the HPDC Executive Director, the Board sets the overall strategic direction of the organization and ensures operational activities are achieving desired results consistent with its strategic plan and goals. The Board approves the annual budget of the organization and proposed revisions to the HPD Open Standard. The Board appoints members of the HPDC Technical Committee, which has responsibility for managing the evolution of the HPD Open Standard.
Directors are elected by HPDC General Members within their member category (i.e., user, manufacturer and ecosystem). The following seats are open in this election:
- 5 seats in the user category
- 2 seats in the ecosystem category
- 2 seats in the manufacturing category
Terms of newly-elected directors will officially begin on January 1 of the year following the election (in this case, January 1, 2017). Directors newly elected in 2016 for terms beginning in 2017 will be randomly selected to serve either a 2 or 3-year term, in order to support the staggering of Board terms. This selection will take place following the election, in late September.
Nominations may be made during the period August 9 – 23, 2016. Following the close of nominations on August 23 at 5PM PDT, the HPDC Nominating Working Group will select a slate of nominees, from among applications received, to stand for election. Prior to the start of the election period on September 6, all nominators and nominees will be notified of the outcome of the nominating process. Nominees selected for the slate will be asked to confirm their commitment to serve as an HPDC Board Member, if elected.
The election for the 2017 HPDC Board of Directors will be conducted by written ballot from September 6-20, 2016. Results will be communicated to nominees in late September, following the close of the election. Those elected will be invited to participate on an ex officio basis in the HPDC Annual Board of Directors meeting, being held on October 4, 2016 in Los Angeles.
Nomination Requirements for the HPDC Board of Directors
- To be nominated, an individual must be an employee of a current General Member of HPDC, and listed as a member representative in the HPDC member roster.
- Nominations may be made by someone from either the nominee’s organization, or from another organization, as long as the organization holds a current General Membership in the HPDC. Nominations may be made by someone other than the nominee, or by the nominee (i.e. self-nomination). Although the election of Board directors is conducted within member categories, the nominating organization may be of any member category (user, manufacturer, ecosystem), i.e. a user category member may be nominated by a manufacturer category member.
- Nominations shall only be considered submitted if they have been completed using the Nomination Form provided HPDC Board of Directors, the Form is submitted prior to the deadline, and the HPDC General Membership status of both nominator and nominee is current at the time of submission.
Desired Prior Experience, Personal Qualifications
- Prior experience serving on the Board of a non-profit, standards setting organization or industry group.
- Willingness and ability to participate actively in meeting the fundraising goals of the Board.
- Depth of knowledge, training, education in an area of the built environment relevant to the work of HPDC. Examples would be licensed professionals in architecture, design, engineering, construction; experts in the area of sustainability, especially material health; executive experience in building industry product development, marketing, manufacturing or other related fields; expertise in specific scientific disciplines, such as industrial hygiene, toxicology, chemistry.
- Significant executive leadership experience/position of responsibility in organizations within the building industry.
- A strategic orientation, blending both business and technical perspectives.
- A strong personal commitment to actively supporting the mission and guiding principles of the HPDC.
Expected Time Commitment as an HPDC Board of Directors Member
- Monthly – several hours reviewing Board communications (updates, emails), participation in a Board Committee and/or Board update call. Several hours supporting achievement of annual fundraising goals.
- Quarterly – participate in a 2-hour meeting of the Board. Two meetings will be telephonic/web and two meetings will be scheduled as face-to-face meetings (travel costs to be borne by Board member).
- Annually – participate in annual 2-day Board Planning Retreat, held in the first calendar quarter (typically February-early March; travel costs to be borne by Board member).
Submitting a Nomination
Both Nominator and Nominee must be officially listed as representatives of current HPDC General Member Organizations at the time of submission. Information about HPDC membership can be found here , or by contacting the HPDC Membership director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To nominate someone for the HPDC Board of Directors, please complete the HPDC Board of Directors Online Nomination Form. Information is required from both nominator and nominee. Note that all nominations must be submitted to HPDC no later than 5 pm PDT on Tuesday, August 23, 2016. All submitted nominations will be acknowledged upon receipt. If you have submitted a nomination and do not receive an acknowledgement, please contact us at email@example.com.