Material Health Open Innovation Symposium: The Art & Science of Material Health Innovation
November 16, 12-5 PM EST – Free Zoom Webinar
Hosted by HPDC, and co-sponsored by the U.S. Green Building Council and mindful MATERIALS, this virtual event is being provided at no cost to attendees.
You’ll find out about the latest innovations taking place in the field of Material Health from researchers, educators, manufacturers, architects, designers and ecosystem partners. Experts on the leading edge of innovation will share with you how the building industry is rapidly transforming to the use of healthier building products. You’ll learn how to tap into growth and opportunities in green building through transparency, openness and innovation in the practice areas of reporting, disclosure, specification and selection of building products. All presentations will include a Q&A.
Session One – Introduction
12:00-12:10 – Welcoming message from Wendy Vittori, HPDC, Wes Sullens, USGBC, Alex Muller, mindful MATERIALS and moderator Nadav Malin
12:10-12:35 – Onscreen Keynote Speaker Robin Guenther, from Perkins+Will
12:35-12:50 – Q&A with Nadav Malin and Robin Guenther
12:50-1:00 – Break
Session Two – Leading Edge Case Studies
Project Case Studies
- 1:00 – Welcome to Session 2
- 1:05-1:20 – Heather Henriksen, Chief Sustainability Officer, Harvard University, presents “Systems Change to Scale Healthier Materials.”
- 1:20-1:35 – Mary Dickinson, Co-Director Material Performance Lab / Associate Principal Perkins&Will and Maria Del Mar Ceballos, Facilities Design & Construction, Georgia Institute of Technology present “Transparency to Optimization – Georgia Tech’s Updated Yellow Book.”
- 1:35-1:45 – Q&A with project case study presenters
Product Case Studies
- 1:45-2:00 – Carrie Claytor, Copper Development Association, Director, Material Stewardship (US) | Sustainable Development Lead, Material Stewardship (Global) presents “Looking Beyond the CAS Number: Considering Form Specificity in Hazard Assessment of Metals.”
- 2:00-2:15 – Adi Alamuru, Technical Project Manager, Rockwool presents “Innovating Stone Wool Insulation.”
- 2:15-2:20 – Q&A with product case study presenters
- 2:20-2:35 – Break
Session Three – Ecosystem Programs
Tracking the Material Health Advances of the Past Year
- 2:35-2:50 – Welcome to Session 3. Wendy Vittori, Executive Director, HPDC, presents: “Tracking the Field – Introducing Social Equity in Material Health Practice”
Progress in Product Optimization
- 2:50-3:05 – Christina Raab, C2C, presents: “Optimizing products for circularity with Cradle to Cradle Certified”
- 3:05 – 3:20 – Stacy Glass, ChemFORWARD, presents “ChemFORWARD: Enabling Optimization with Shared Data”
- 3:20-3:30 – Q&A with ecosystem program presenters
Material Health is a Strong Foundation for Sustainability Programs
- 3:30-3:45 – Pete Girard, ToxNot, presents “Supply Chain Connections: How to Increase HPD ROI”
- 3:45-4:00 – Terry Swack, Sustainable Minds, presents “Product Transparency – Key Performance Criteria in Product Marketing”
- 4:00-4:05 – Q&A with ecosystem program presenters
- 4:05-4:15 – Break
Leading Edge Approaches for Projects
- 4:15-4:20 – Welcome back
- 4:20-4:35 – Gina Ciganik, Healthy Building Network, presents “Jump start safer product selection”
- 4:35-4:50 – Annie Bevan, mindful MATERIALS, presents “A Common Materials Framework highlighting comprehensive collaboration: how we can all enable being ‘mindful’ as the norm”
- 4:50-4:55 – Q&A with ecosystem program presenters
- 4:55 – Closing remarks. Get ready for the HPDC Happy Half Hour & Annual Member Meeting at 5 pm.
- Robin Guenther, our keynote speaker is a pioneer in bringing awareness and focus to material health practice in the building industry. Ms. Guenther will provide her unique perspective on how we can accelerate the advance of material health in architecture and design firms. She is Principal of Perkins+Will, Senior Advisor to Health Care Without Harm and a member of the HPDC Board of Directors. Her innovative healthcare projects have been published nationally and internationally.
Building Design Teams and Manufacturers are invited to share their organizations’ breakthrough Material Health innovation with colleagues during the Material Health Open Innovation Symposium. Four case study presentations (two from project teams and two from product manufacturers) will be selected for the new, Material Health Innovation Award. Selections will be for those case studies that best demonstrate performance and results at the “leading edge” of Material Health innovation. The selected case studies will each have a 15-minute presentation during the Symposium. All case studies submitted will be published as part of the Symposium proceedings.
The deadline to submit has been extended to November 10, 2021 by 5 PM PST.