Advancing capabilities for product reporting and transparency in the building industry
The Health Product Declaration® (HPD) Collaborative announced today a “dot release” of its HPD Open Standard – Version 2.1. This revision incorporates ease-of-use features to streamline creation and use of HPDs, and other improvements that enhance the overall effectiveness and utility of the HPD Open Standard, in response to user feedback.
The HPD Open Standard provides a rigorous, standard methodology for detailed reporting of product contents and associated health information for building products. Since the release of HPD Open Standard version 2.0 in September 2015, over 300 manufacturers have registered to use the HPD Builder tool to create HPDs. Over 2,500 published HPDs are available to the public—at no charge—in the HPD Public Repository. New HPDs are being created and published in the Repository on a regular basis.
Key elements of the 2.1 revision are:
- Harmonization with LEED v4 Material Ingredients credit requirements
- Harmonized Content Inventory formats
- LEED “pre-check” indicator – mechanical check to determine if LEED-required data elements are present (does not evaluate content for correctness)
- Clarifications of existing content
- Clarified “Checklist” for compliant HPD
- Added separate lines for Product and Manufacturer Names
- Changed “UNK” to “NoGS” for no GreenScreen listing
- In “Exclusions” – revised Introduction and Disclaimer
- In “References” – clarified Manufacturer Contact Name to reflect responsibility for content of HPD
- In Section 4, “Accessories” – added response to indicate no accessories required
- Updates to existing content
- Updated Third Party Verification data fields to include Third Party Verification status, identify preparers and/or verifiers
- Updated “Publication” to reflect HPDC Public Repository
- Updated Priority Hazard Lists
- Corrected references to GreenScreen to reflect trademark
- Updated references to GreenScreen Benchmarks
- Checked and updated all referenced links
- Updated references and links to HPDC website
- Updated Glossary
HPDs that were created with version 2.0 will remain valid through their existing expiry dates. Manufacturers will, at their option, be able to update an existing HPD 2.0 to the 2.1 revision using the HPD Builder tool. The HPD Builder for version 2.1 is planned for release in June. Registered users of the HPD Builder will receive a separate communication with information specific to HPD Builder 2.1. Information regarding availability of the HPD Builder 2.1 is also available on the HPDC website.
“The HPD Open Standard is continuing to evolve to reflect the growing practice of Material Health, which is still in its early stages in the building industry,” said Wendy Vittori, HPDC Executive Director. “This evolution will ensure that the HPD Open Standard reflects this learning and provides the solid foundation for reporting product content and associated health information that our industry can rely upon.”
About the Health Product Declaration® Collaborative
The Health Product Declaration Collaborative is a not-for-profit, customer-led, member organization committed to the continuous improvement of the building industry’s environmental and health performance through transparency and innovation. The HPD Collaborative created, supports and advances the HPD Open Standard, a format that enables accurate, reliable and consistent reporting of building product content and associated health information, through a consensus-based, stakeholder process. The HPD Open Standard is freely available to all at www.hpd-collaborative.org.
HPD Collaborative, Inc.
401 Edgewater Place, Suite 600
Wakefield, MA 01880
For more information, contact: